The project is prepared in response to the pressing need of reducing the emissions of process industries and the energy system. In this context, flexibility is the enabling factor, and its application in a reliable and effective way is required:
• Energy flexibility is the key in reducing energy costs beyond static, flat reductions achieved by energy efficient technologies.
• Energy flexibility is also crucial in enabling process industries to adapt to the changing energy system, and the rapidly increasing share of renewables.
• Finally, energy flexibility is the main contributor towards reducing peak energy demand.
Flexibility will thus generate significant advantages and render innovative technologies much more attractive for application. An extensive technological portfolio will be featured in TRINEFLEX, facilitating the development of customized configurations according to the needs of each processing plant:
• Energy efficiency and storage technologies, such as heat recovery, will become more attractive as less recovered heat will be wasted. Instead, by increasing the flexibility and smartness of the plant’s energy use, energy efficiency will be adapted to maximize recovery potential and re-utilization.
• Clean energy technologies, such as solar and wind, present natural synergies with energy efficiency and storage. In fact, storing and optimizing energy use is the main driver behind load shifting, contributing to significant peak energy demand reduction.
• Sustainable fuels and feedstocks are ideal replacement for their fossil fuel-based counterparts. These can also be sourced locally, from waste or non-food crops leading to significantly lowered emissions.
• Carbon Capture Utilization and/or Storage (CCUS).
The TRINEFLEX project relies upon the commitment and good collaboration between the process plant managers, technology providers and other partners of the project. Thus, even from the proposal stage, comprehensive information will be required to structure a winning proposal and translate into a feasible and impactful project. The overall goal of the project is to introduce a high level of flexibility in the plant’s energy system and interactions with the grid